$2.1b Arms Deal: We are not in a hurry to release Dasuki—FG

 

dasuki-sambo…Agrees to streamline cases against him, others

A Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Abuja  has suspended till October 21 hearing in a public interest $2.1bn arms deal fraud charge  preferred against former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) and others.

The decision was to await the response of the Chief Judge of FCT High Court on a request by both the Federal Government on the one hand and Dasuki alongside his alleged accomplices on the other hand to consolidate two similar suits on the same subject matter pending before two separate high courts in the FCT.

The development arose at a time the Federal Government said it was not in a hurry to release Dasuki from detention notwithstanding the judgment of the ECOWAS Court which ordered his immediate release.

The government said there was the need to get a certified true copy of the judgment and study it very well to know whether it was one that could be implemented or not.

ALSO READ  Police arrest fleeing guard in Taraba for killing his boss in Lagos  

The government has also argued that it needed to fully understand the content of the court’s proceedings and judgment before reacting.

Mr Malami said: “We cannot just react. We will first of all study the judgment to understand its content before taking a stand”.

The Attorney General’s views were conveyed to Channels Television on October 5, by his Special Adviser on Publicity, Mr Salisu Isah.

It would be recalled that lead counsel representing Dasuki in court, M r J . B  Daudu (SAN) had protested maintenance of two suits on the same subject matter against his clients.

Mr Daudu had argued that putting him on trial in two different courts on the same issues and subject matter would cause him double jeopardy.

At the resumption of the trial, counsel to the Federal Government, Mr Rotimi Jacobs and that of Dasuki, Mr Dudu agreed before Justice Baba Yusuf to formally write the Chief Judge of the FCT judiciary, Justice Ishaq Bello, to consolidate the two charges in the interest of justice.

ALSO READ  N6b Libel Suit: Court throws out Peterside’s request to ‘kill’ Odili’s suit

The two senior counsel consequently applied to the trial judge, Justice Yusuf to adjourn the matter pending the time the Chief Judge would consider the application for consolidation.

Justice Yusuf obliged the parties and adjourned the case to October 21, 2016.

Dasuki had been put on trial before Justice Yusuf and another charge was filed against him before Justice Peter Affen both of the FCT High Court on the same issue and subjectmatter.

In February, Colonel Dasuki had accused President Muhammadu Buhari of being behind his arrest and detention without trial since December 29, 2015.

Dasuki, who spoke through his counsel, Mr Joseph Daudu, claimed that President Buhari unjustly instigated his arrest and detention by the DSS against the bail granted him by three different courts in various criminal charges brought against him by the Federal Government.

ALSO READ  Again, herdsmen kill over 25 in Plateau, Delta

He claimed that the President, through his comments on the presidential media chat in January 2016, confirmed that he was behind his ordeal.

In a further and better affidavit filed in support of his application at the FCT High Court, the ex-NSA claimed that the President betrayed his emotion during the Presidential Media Chat when he openly told Nigerians that he (Dasuki) and Nnamdi Kanu would not be allowed on bail because they would jump bail.