Yusuf, the son of President Muhammadu Buhari has been discharged from Cedarcrest Hospital in Abuja.
Cedarcrest which treated Yusuf, the only son of President Muhammadu Buhari who was involved in a serious accident on Boxing Day, last year, however issued a statement to clear air on what it called misrepresentation regarding the crash and the treatment.
The Hospital spoke on Friday just as the Presidency said that the first family appreciated the “overwhelming” show of love and solidarity, which had come their way since their son, Yusuf, was involved in a motorcycle crash on December 26, 2017.
“We thank Nigerians from all walks of life, both within and outside the country, leaders of many foreign countries, groups, organisations, individuals, and many others, who prayed, visited, sent messages, and generally stood by us at the trying time,” the family said, praying that Allah would reward them all.
In a statement made available to the media by the Presidency in Abuja on Friday, the hospital also said the wife of the President, Aisha was not treated for shock following the power bike accident in which Yusuf sustained head injuries and broken limbs.
It also denied that one Yusuf’s friend was also involved in the accident.
The statement quoted by the Special Adviser to the president on media and publicity, Femi Adesina, was released by the Medical Director of the Hospital, Dr Felix Ogedegbe.
It reads: “Mr. Yusuf Muhammadu Buhari, son of His Excellency President Buhari, was admitted into Cedarcrest Hospitals Abuja in the late hours of the 26th of December 2017, following injuries sustained as a rider of a motorcycle.
“Following initial stabilization, he was taken into intensive care.
“He underwent successful emergency surgical operations the following morning carried out by our team of neurosurgeons and orthopaedic surgeons.
“Over the following week, his condition improved remarkably and he was transferred from intensive care to the ward.
“He has remained stable ever since and has continued to make remarkable progress. He is now ready to be discharged.
“His extremely speedy response to treatment so far is testimony to the world-class early care he has received here in Cedarcrest, Abuja.
“We are grateful to His Excellency, President Buhari and Her Excellency the First Lady Mrs. Aisha Buhari for the confidence in us and for allowing us to look after Yusuf.”
“This show of confidence goes a long way to strengthen our collective belief in our resolve to offer world-class health care locally.
“We are extremely grateful to our entire hospital team for their dedication and hard work during this period.
“We are also grateful to the Honorable Minister of Health, the Honorable Minister of State for Health, and the eminent advisory team of specialists assembled by the Honorable Minister of Health who supported us in the course of looking after Yusuf.
“We are grateful to all Nigerians who prayed for Yusuf, his family and his careers. His response to treatment so far is clear testimony to answered prayers.
“We did note some very misleading reports about this incident making the rounds in some social media outlets.
“Most of them would not ordinarily need to be responded to. Suffice to say that there was only one person involved in this incident. No one else required treatment for this incident or its aftermath. Yusuf’s friend was not involved in the accident and did not sustain any injuries whatsoever.
“Her Excellency, the First Lady was not at any time treated for shock and she was not admitted into Cedarcrest at any time.
“In addition, Cedarcrest Hospitals has remained open to other in-patients and out-patients and at no time were any patients denied access to the hospital.”
President Muhammadu Buhari and his wife, Aisha, and the entire family, have thanked “all men and women of goodwill, both within and outside the country,” for their prayers and best wishes, which have now seen their son, Yusuf, being discharged from hospital.