The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday fixed May 16 for ruling on the no-case-submission filed by Charles Okah and Nwabueze Obi, to dismiss the terrorism charges brought against them.
The applicants were alleged masterminds of the 2010 Independence Day bombing in Abuja.
Justice Gabriel Kolawole fixed the date after counsel to parties had canvassed their arguments.
Okah, a younger brother of Henry Okah, the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation Niger Delta, (MEND) and others standing the trial, are expected to open their defence after the May 16 ruling.
The MEND leader, also tried for terrorism charges, is presently serving his life jail term in South Africa.
The prosecution closed its case on January 31 but the applicants filed a no-case submission, urging the court to dismiss the charges brought against them.
The applicants argued that the charges and the evidence presented by the prosecution so far had not established prima facie case against them.
At the resumed hearing, counsel to Okah, Mr. Emeka Okafor, told the court of his client’s motion of no-case-submission.
“It is our final submission that Okah does not need to go through rigorous trial as the prosecutor has no evidence to prove any ingredient of offence he is charged with,” he said.
Counsel to Nwabueze, Mr. Oghenovo Otemu, aligned himself with the submission of Okah’s counsel.