Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday said he had no plans to contest the 2019 presidential election.
According to Reuters, Osinbajo said this when he was asked at the Financial Times Africa Summit in London if he had considered running.
“None of that is on the cards,” the Vice-President reportedly said.
Osinbajo had earlier disowned a group known as Osinbajo Volunteers, which is campaigning for his election as President in 2019.
His Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, had asked Nigerians to disregard the group, adding that Osinbajo had nothing to do with them.
The group had noted that Nigeria now “has a leader who has a clue about what to do and (how to) turn Nigeria to a beloved land of our dreams.”
It featured the activities of the Vice-President on its website, while calling on members of the public to volunteer for Osinbajo.
It however noted that it did not receive the endorsement of the Vice-President, noting that it had never met him.
The group added, “Note that Osinbajo did not endorse this volunteer group. We have never met him. We are strong believers in the fact that he is the right ruler for Nigeria and we must create a people’s volunteer base for him.”