Nigerian Army, Friday said there was no truth in the claims by the Boko Haram insurgents that, 40 of the Chibok girls abducted by them were killed by military fighter jet.
The army said the bodies shown on the video clips did not look like people killed by fighter plane but those killed by Ak47 rifle, adding that the insurgents were playing on Nigerians’ emotion to draw empathy to themselves through manipulative means.
Addressing a press conference at the Media Centre of the Garrison Command of the 7 Division Nigerian Army Maiduguri, the Theatre Commander, Major General Leo Irabor explained that, it is a matter of common sense for people to understand that, the Boko Haram insurgents were using all forms of propaganda to arrest public attention and to show that, they were still strong in the ongoing crises in the northeast.
“Boko Haram’s days are numbered. Their future is disastrous, but they can save themselves from the disaster that awaits them if they see reasons and surrender themselves to the authorities like some of them who are wise and are acting fast in this direction.
“They (Boko Haram) are the ones keeping these girls. We do not go about killing people. I believe that we have so far rescued more than 15,000.
“But the photographs shown in the video which they are claiming is nothing but the product of their manipulation of events that took place about two years ago.
“This is an illusive attempt by the Boko Haram and we are not disturbed by their propaganda. We know we have degraded them and we are confident that, their future is disastrous, unless the remnants come for repentance,” General Irabor said.